Guildhall Gallery Terms and Conditions
1. The Exhibition
VENUE: Guildhall Gallery, Stafford
OPENING HOURS: Tuesday, to Saturday 10am to 5pm
DURATION: A minimum of 4 months from the opening night
Guildhall Gallery is an exhibition of mixed artists and designers, and an outlet for sales of artworks and related merchandise.
2. Exhibition costs
COSTS TO BE BORNE BY THE ARTIST:
- Transportation of works to the gallery
- Collection and / or postage costs of unsold works at the end of the exhibition
- Insurance of works of art in transit
- Delivery of works sold to customer if not taken from gallery
- Public and Product Liability Insurance – advice can be given
COSTS TO BE BORNE BY GUILDHALL GALLERY:
- Publicity, marketing, promotion, advertising
- Gallery Insurance
- Gallery curation
- Financial and Legal Administration
COSTS TO BE NEGOTIATED BETWEEN GALLERY AND ARTIST:
- Installation of works
- Social Media marketing
- Posters, flyers
- Window advertising
- Local media coverage
- Artist Statement / description of works
- List of works to include size, date, materials used, and price
- Images of work
- Engagement with the Guildhall Gallery social media campaigns
4. Delivery/Collection of Work
- The artist is responsible for the prompt delivery of their own works to the gallery, and for prompt collection of their own works when the exhibition ends.
- The artist is responsible for all costs, insurance of their work, and packing of the items associated with transportation to and from the gallery.
- The work must be collected within 48 hours of the end of the exhibition. If the works are not collected or claimed by, or on behalf of, the relevant artist within 3 months of the last collection day the Guildhall Gallery will be entitled to destroy, sell, or otherwise dispose of the Works without consent and without prior notification to the artist.
- Curated works will remain in the gallery for the duration of the exhibition, unless sold
- Curatorial matters (including which artworks will be exhibited from the list that has been submitted and the form or/and type of display) are left entirely to Guildhall Gallery.
- To safeguard the works, the artist will share responsibility with Guildhall Gallery for employing suitable display methods, that comply with Health and Safety.
6. Ownership of work / Copyright
- The work in the exhibition will be loaned to the gallery on consignment and held in trust, and the artist will remain the owner until sale to a buyer.
- The artist must be the owner of the artworks and the pieces submitted are of his or her own origination. The artist must hold all moral and intellectual property rights.
- Copyright will remain with the artist.
- The gallery reserves the right to photograph work in the exhibition for any catalogue, sales promotion, marketing and advertising of the gallery and the work displayed.
7. Selling Prices
- Selling prices will be agreed in advance with the artist.
- VAT is not applicable
- Discounts will not be given without the prior authorisation of the artist
8. Gallery commission
- The gallery will take 46% commission on all sales (the retail selling price), except greeting cards which are subject to commission at 40%.
9. Obligations / Payments
- All work must be delivered to the Guildhall Gallery as stated on the ‘call for artists’ and prior to the opening of the exhibition
- Payments for works sold by the gallery will be paid to the artist within 7 working days of the end of each calendar month, by bank transfer. (less commission and only once the buyer has paid the gallery).
- A statement of account will be issued within 7 working days of the end of each calendar month and will include:
- Title of work
- Date of sale
- Sale price
10. Studio Sales
- Items taken on consignment must only be sold by the gallery for the duration of the exhibition and should not be advertised for sale anywhere else.
- Private negotiations with potential clients regarding the price of exhibited work must always be referred back to the gallery for the duration of the exhibition.
- Artists found to have sold exhibited work at a discounted price, without the prior knowledge of the gallery, and without commission being taken by the gallery, will be invoiced for the amount of 46% of the advertised gallery selling price. The artist will be asked to remove their work and will no longer be allowed to exhibit.
- There are no restrictions on studio or private sales by the artist for works not included in the exhibition, during the exhibition or at any other time.
- Art commissions taken through the gallery must be sold through the gallery and are subject to 46% commission.
11. Loss or damage to work; insurance
- Public liability insurance is the responsibility of the gallery while products are kept on consignment
- Insurance of works or products exhibited and stored in the gallery is covered by the Guildhall Gallery retail insurance policy.
- The gallery is insured for theft or accidental damage of any work or product held in trust by the gallery
- The gallery accepts no responsibility for the theft or accidental damage of any works or products during transportation, delivery and collection of works or products
- Complaints regarding sold items that are faulty will be the responsibility of the artist to resolve with the end customer, not the Guildhall Gallery
12. Credits and Moral rights
- The artist will be credited wherever possible whenever any work is exhibited in public or an image of the work is published by or for the gallery.
13. Legal clauses
- All works submitted conforms to all applicable health and safety standards and regulations
- Neither party will be responsible for compensating the other if they fail to meet their obligations because of circumstances outside their reasonable control.
- This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by English law.
Date: 30th August 2019